Skip to main content

HISTORY

Winnewald Day Camp was opened in 1951 as a resident camp by Winnifred and Ewald Ludwig from whom the name Winnewald was derived. Winnifred was a home economics teacher in Holland Township and a physical education teacher at North Hunterdon High School; Ewald was a writer and a humorist. After a few years as a resident camp, Winnewald changed to a day camp. The Ludwigs owned Winnewald for fourteen years. Many of the original buildings are still in use today.
Bob Jones purchased the camp from the Ludwigs in January, 1965, and has continued to operate and expand it as a summer day camp since that time. Mrs. Carol Crawford Jones joined Winnewald in 1976 and has been a part of the leadership team since that time.
Winnewald was accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA) in 1968; Bob and Carol (Crawford-Jones) remain members as retired professionals. The camp is also a member of the Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce. Winnewald is the only private day camp in the area and has been preserved in perpetuity by the Hunterdon Land Trust and now covers approximately 30 acres.

Cornerstones

We Believe that:

  • Children come first.
  • Program: Our program is varied, changing, flexible, and sequential.
  • Staff: Our staff is approachable, talented, friendly, caring, enthusiastic, and a good role model for children.
  • Expectations: Winnewald is committed to excellence; we have high expectations of staff and campers.
  • Values, Respect, and Trust: These qualities are mutual for each other, campers, parents, country, and camp facilities.
  • Communication: We value 360°communication in the camp community.
  • C.A.M.P. Motto: Consideration, Attitude, Manners, and Participation are essential in interaction within our community.
  • Winnewald is Family Oriented.
  • We provide children and staff with a fun summer in a safe, non-threatening environment.